I interviewed Maj Chris Reardon, USMC, who shares his testimony as well as his experiences with integrating faith and profession. For some people, that can perhaps be an ambiguous topic. What exactly does it mean to integrate faith and profession? Chris unpacks what that looks like for him as a Marine and shares some practical application.
In the spirit of the topic, Chris also talks about his nonprofit called Freedom Fitness America, a fusion of fitness and faith, as a means of integrating his faith and profession and helping others do the same.
This conversation with Chris kicks off the third season of OCF Crosspoint, and don’t miss the episodes to come in the months ahead. If you have an idea for a guest, topic, or story that I should consider for a future episode of the show, send an email to [email protected] or visit OCF’s new “Be a Guest” webpage.
Places to find FFA online:
Questions to ponder:
As you listen to Chris’ story, here are a few questions to ponder in your personal time or with a small group or mentor:
- Chris shares that he knew from a young age that he wanted to serve in the military, but his father “was not keen” on Chris’ aspirations. How do we as Christians seek to honor our father and mother as we’re commanded to while also honoring what the Lord puts on our hearts to do?
- How did hearing Chris’ experiences of integrating faith and profession shape your understanding of intertwining those two facets of life? What does it mean to you to integrate faith and profession?
- Recall a time in your own life when you submitted to the Lord’s calling. How did obeying Him in that circumstance change your relationship with Him?
- What are your thoughts on Chris’ comparison of a Christian in the military to a palm tree?
- Chris shares that a friend often used tracts to share Christ with strangers while the Lord showed Chris He would use his relationships instead. How are these two approaches to telling others about Christ effective in different ways?
- How can you come alongside the chaplaincy in your own life to make an impact for the Kingdom together?
- Consider your own God-given skills, talents, and passions. How could God use these unique interests of yours to glorify Himself?