Date Posted: 09/12/2022
The Director, Facilities and Maintenance supervises the Facilities and Maintenance Manager and Assistants, summer staff, and volunteers; and is responsible for all facilities, grounds, and maintenance areas. The Director plans, prioritizes, delegates, participates, supervises, inspects, and documents the work of maintenance and improvements for facilities, vehicles and grounds in a manner that provides a safe and comfortable environment for all staff and guests. The Director participates in the preparation and administration of the facility maintenance budget, and facilitates planning meetings with all Directors to prioritize and execute corrective maintenance and minor construction projects. The Director develops and organizes preventive maintenance and safety inspection programs. The Director serves as the Drinking Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and Distribution/Collection System Operator, and ensures Spring Canyon complies with all state and federal regulations and is prepared for all inspections. This position requires a good working knowledge in several skill fields, including electrical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing, carpentry, and vehicle maintenance. The duties of this position are approximately 70% hands-on maintenance and construction and 30% administration.
Spring Canyon is a retreat and conference center in Buena Vista, CO, about 120 miles west of Colorado Springs. Since 1962, Spring Canyon has served military families, couples, singles, and Christian groups from across the world as a “home away from home” for community and fellowship. It is nestled in the beautiful Collegiate Peaks on the edge of the famous Arkansas River Valley, and is a Christ-centered sanctuary for military families, groups and individuals, where the presence of God transforms lives. When guests drive down from the mountain after a retreat, our desire is that they are refreshed, equipped, and inspired to serve in the name of Jesus Christ, wherever God has called them.
Reports To: Kim Hawthorne, Center Director
What are we looking for?
- That a clear sense of God’s calling to this specific and sacrificial work will become manifest through the hiring process. This is the preeminent criteria and trumps all else below.
- A demonstrated strong and growing Christian faith and desire to be part of the Spring Canyon ministry.
- A passion to minister to guests (possibly at all hours of the day) through fixing broken “things,” facilities construction and renovation, equipment repair, plowing/shoveling snow, being a jack-of-all-trades, etc.
- Ideally, but not essentially, someone transitioned or retired from military service, with a strong and current professional and spiritual reputation.
- Ideally, but not essentially, someone with a history in OCF and Spring Canyon or Christian camping/conference center ministry experience and leadership.
- Strong management and leadership skills, including planning and organizing a large volume of work, creating a positive work environment for staff, team building, managing change, and handling conflict resolution.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in engineering, construction, or related fields; or 10 years of experience in similar work including supervision of skilled and unskilled labor and 5 years of managerial experience.
- Demonstrated capability in all areas of maintenance/grounds, facilities construction and renovations, vehicle/equipment repairs, etc.
- Colorado Class S Water and Wastewater Professional certifications are a big plus. It is expected that the Director will obtain both certifications within the first six months of employment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the organization. Ability to accept responsibility for assigned tasks and complete them on schedule. Ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce, including teenagers and young adults.
- View service at Spring Canyon as a ministry calling rather than just a job. Be totally invested in the vision and mission of OCF and Spring Canyon, and serve with a whole heart (1 Sam 12:24 and Col 3:23-24).
- Available as soon as possible, but no later than 1 February 2023; financial freedom to work for ministry-level compensation; a workable family situation.
- A reasonable expectation that the applicant can and will serve for at least 3-5 years.
This is a regular, full-time, overtime-exempt position. Effective January 1, 2023, the annual salary will be approximately $50,000. The benefits of this position include housing for the employee and dependent family members on conference center property. It is anticipated that the employee will live on conference center property due to the on-call nature of this position as well as the relatively high cost of housing in the local area. Additionally, meals are often available to the employee and dependent family members, when Spring Canyon is serving meals for programs and retreats–although Spring Canyon does not guarantee the availability of meals.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact the Center Director, Kim Hawthorne ([email protected], 719-395-2328) for further information and an application. Completed applications must be received NLT 10 Oct 22.
To apply or for more information: [email protected] or call 719-395-2328