Last Updated on July 28, 2023 by OCF Communications
More about the volunteer opportunity:
SUPERVISOR: Director of Operational Initiatives (DOI)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitates the conversion of existing OCF products residing in audio or video format into text.
- Works closely with the DOI and Comms Team to help prioritize the selection and prioritization of work.
- Advises the Content Targeting Team regarding transcription issues with select AV files.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
The OCF AV Transcriptionist requires fine-tuned skills such as editing, researching, and listening to material to ensure it is interpreted correctly.
- As transcription is the conversion of audio/video into text, the first of the important skills that transcribers need to have is an enhanced ability to listen. Active listening is important in order to transcribe a conversation accurately and efficiently.
- To some degree multitasking is required as they must be able to listen, understand and type simultaneously.
- Fast and accurate typing skills are required in order to transcribe files quickly. The average typing speed for transcriptionists can vary, but these professionals can usually type between 60 to 80 words per minute. Efficient typing skills can also help transcriptionists make fewer errors, which helps save time when editing their work.
- Strong editing skills to ensure their transcripts are accurate. Exceptional knowledge of orthography, including grammar and punctuation, will help to document recordings accurately.
- Knowledge of the Bible will help to ensure scriptural references are captured and/or corrected accurately.
- A good working knowledge of computers and software programs they need to use to perform the function of transcription.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This is a volunteer position. The position may be accomplished from a remote work location. Specialized equipment and software to support the transcription effort can be provided. Very limited travel is anticipated to support responsibilities discussed above. May require sitting for long periods of times. Requires reaching continually throughout the workday (i.e. mouse, keyboard). Requires regular use of phone and email.
Point of Contact: Bill Rue
To apply or for more information: