Got an idea for a guest or topic?
If you would like to share your own story, complete the form on OCF’s “Be a Guest” webpage. Alternatively, if you have an idea for a guest or topic I should consider for a future episode of the show, send an email to [email protected].
On the heels of several episodes on the topics of pornography and sexuality with CAPT Brent & Nicole Breining, USN (Ret.), Dr. Joy Skarka joins me on the podcast for a similar conversation, except we’ll approach this topic from the perspective of single or dating women.
Joy currently serves as the director of discipleship at Authentic Intimacy, a ministry devoted to teaching on God’s design for intimacy and sexuality.
Joy discusses the meaning behind and value of a phrase that contains two words we likely wouldn’t expect to go together: sexual discipleship. She then shares her own story with pornography addiction and how God turned a source of brokenness, pain, and trauma into a passion through which she helps other women navigate similar struggles. You can connect with Joy by following her on Instagram: @joyskarka.
Check out the various resources mentioned throughout this episode:
As you listen to this conversation with Joy, here are a few questions to ponder in your personal time, with a small group, or with a mentor:
- Quoting Juli Slattery’s book Rethinking Sexuality, Joy says, “Every sexual question is ultimately a spiritual one.” Do you agree? Why or why not?
- How might a lack of education from the church result in a poor or even harmful understanding of sexuality?
- Joy talks about how addiction to pornography can start so subtly. What are some ways we can proactively guard against developing such addictions?
- If we truly understand that the point of being a Christian is to be made more like Christ, how does that understanding affect our contentment in Him alone, regardless of relationship status, circumstances, etc.?
- Who are the trustworthy mentors in your life with whom you can discuss heavy topics like the ones covered in today’s episode?